Silver gelatin film – I’ve spent today scanning in some negatives from my projects. Here’s a preview of some new shots. These are just the scans of the negs, I’ll print some proper darkroom silver gelatin prints of them soon. The dark and broody forest shots were shot on my Hasselblad 500c/m with film for my ‘Walk In The Woods‘ project the old shed in the thick grass is for ‘ my Abandoned’ project. The last shot of the three trees in the garden with the with two stools was just a nice ballanced snap taken with my Rollei f2.8 on holiday in France last year.
I set myself a pretty difficult task here, with this handprinted gum bichromate print. Gum Printing isn’t for the faint-hearted at the best of time. The diptych below is made with 3 CMY colour seperation negatives for each side of the print ( 6 negatives in total ) and multiple layers of watercolour pigment and gum arabic. The biggest problem with a print like this is the registration, making sure each negative will sit in the right position each time I paint on a layer of pigment. The diptych has 4 layers at the moment and I’m contemplating adding another 2 layers, it’s like trying to finish a painting and knowing when to stop, that last brush stroke could take the image to a higher level or it could drop through the doors to hell. It has taken 4 days so far to get the print to this stage. I feel the print is close to what I wanted in the first place but just needs a tiny bit more detail.